Gateau au Chocolat Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 200g dark chocolate (60% cocoa minimum)
- 13 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
How to make Gateau au Chocolat
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan or sandwich tin.
- Melt the chocolate in a metal mixing bowl over a saucepan of hot simmering water. Add the butter and stir well to mix the two ingredients completely.
- Put the eggs and the sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat with a kitchen mixer or whisk until the mixture turns pale and doubles in volume. Add the flour, a tablespoon at a time, and the baking powder; mix well.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the cake mixture and mix well. Pour into the prepared pan and bake 30-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for approximately 15 minutes before unmolding.
- Heat a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add the sugar and melt until all of the sugar is dissolved, stirring constantly so as not to burn the sugar.
- Add the butter and stir constantly until the butter is fully melted and incorporated.
- Reduce heat to low, and add the heavy cream. Stir until fully incorporated, and the sauce is smooth and creamy.