Fettuccine with Quick Ragu Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 1/2 onion
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 small carrot, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground veal or turkey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 12 ounces fettuccine
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving
How to make Fettuccine with Quick Ragu
1. Pulse the onion, celery, carrot, garlic and rosemary in a food processor until finely chopped.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped vegetables and cook, stirring, until softened and golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add the veal, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, milk, 1 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the fettuccine as the label directs. Drain the pasta, then toss with half of the ragu (about 3 cups). Top with parmesan. Reserve the remaining ragu to make stuffed peppers.
Time: 30 minutes, Makes 4 servings (with leftover ragu), Difficulty: Easy
Per serving: Calories 484; Fat 12 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 48 mg; Sodium 462 mg; Carbohydrate 71 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 25 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos