Filet Mignon with Red Wine Portabella Sauce Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 License
FOR THE RED WINE SAUCE
* 2 Tbsp of butter
* 1 garlic clove , chopped
* 4 shallots , chopped
* olive oil , for frying
* 200g lean beef trimmings, chopped
* 75cl bottle red wine (Fitou gives a very rich, red colour)
* 1.2l fresh beef jus (or try using cans of beef consommé)
How to make Filet Mignon with Red Wine Portabella Sauce
- First cook your trimmings to medium/well done in your oil
- add your shallots, garlic and mushrooms let it season the trimmings for a minute
- add 3 cups red wine and take a whisk and whisk up the meat seasons from the pan
- reduce the wine once and add beef jus.
- Add another 2 cups of wine then reduce , add butter and take off the heat or keep it on low heat to stay warm.
The base of this sauce is a jus, a reduction of good beef stock that gains strength as the liquid bubbles down. Beef consommé is a good substitute. You can get more depth from the sauce by adding more beef and/or red wine.
Filet Mignon Prep:
- Take your beef tenderloin and cut 1 1/2 to 2 inch steaks
- salt and pepper them
- place in a hot pan and sear till medium rare
- Add your Red Wine sauce to them that you made earlier
Plate the steak on top of the bed of fresh cooked spinach and add the red wine sauce on top. Enjoy!