Oxtail Stew Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 12 ounces dried lima beans
- 4 pounds oxtails
- 2 large Vidalia onions, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 4 teaspoons hot paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 4 tablespoons gravy master
- 6 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons salt
How to make Oxtail Stew
In a large bowl, cover lima beans with water, cover with a towel and soak overnight.
1. In a large pot, add oxtails, onions, scallions, garlic, thyme, red pepper, paprika, bay leaf, hot sauce, and gravy master and marinate at least 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally.
2. Add enough water to just cover the oxtails and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower to a simmer, cover and cook 2 hours. Every 30 minutes for 2 hours add 2 cups of water or broth, alternating, as necessary, to keep oxtails covered with liquid.
3. At 2 hours, add the beans, tomato paste, and 2 more cups of beef broth and water, if needed. Bring to a boil then simmer uncovered 2 hours, skimming fat off top and stirring occasionally. In the last 1/2 hour of cook time, season with 2 tablespoons salt. Serve with rice.
Makes 4-6 servings, Difficulty: Easy