Empanadas de Carne Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 2 C Flour
- 1/3 C Lard
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Warm Water
- 0.5 kg Ground Beef
- 1 Onion
- 1 Green bell peper
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2-3 Hard boiled Eggs
How to make Empanadas de Carne
A recipe from Paraguay-- Empanadas de Carne. What are Empanadas? Basically, it's a big, fried (or baked) foldover/dumpling/stuffed pastry. Empanadas aren't really from Paraguay... you see them in tons of spanish-influenced/latin american countries. They come in a variety of flavors, but the most popular ones in Paraguay would probably be Empanads de carne (beef), pollo (chicken), choclo (corn), or jamón y queso (ham and cheese). My favorite would be the beef and tah-dah, here it is!
- Mix together the Flour + Salt + Baking Powder.
- Cut in the Lard and pinch it with your fingers until it resembles coarse crumbs (like making a pie).
- Add in warm water until it the dough comes together.
- Knead until it forms a smooth ball.
- Cut the dough into 12 pieces.
- Roll the individual pieces out and cut into 12cm circles.
- Make more with leftover dough.
EMPANADA DE CARNE:
- Cook the ground beef with onions, green pepper, and garlic.
- Add Parsley + Cumin (i use a lot of both...especially Cumin!)
- Season with Salt + Pepper.
- When done, chop the eggs and gently mix it into the meat .
- Spoon the meat mixture onto the dough and fold it up. Press down the edges with a fork.
- Deep fry until golden brown or bake them. (when baking, brush the top with eggs.)