Cheese Spätzle Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 2 Eggs
- 200 g of white wheat flour
- 100 g of Swiss or German Emmentaler cheese
- 10 g butter
- 1 medium sized onion
- 3 slices of smoked bacon (optional)
- salt and pepper
How to make Cheese Spätzle
This Swabian dish serves 2-3 people. It is made of of Spätzle, a Swabian type of pasta, fried with onions and cheese and made in two main steps, the making of the plain Spätzle and the later adding of cheese and onion
- fill a pot about 3/4 with water then add 1 tablepoon of salt and bring to the boil
- put the pasta dough onto a wooden board, now scrape with a knife little dumplings about the size of a couple of peas and let each dumpling fall into the boiling water. You can also use what is called a Spätzle machine which is like a giant garlic press. Otherwise do the scraping method, it is originally done this way anyway.
- Once the dumplings float on the water, take them out as they are done.
- Now heat up a frying pan and add the butter
- add the finely chopped onion and the optional chopped up bacon
- let it sizzle until the onion is slightly golden
- now add the Spätzle dumplings and the finely chopped up cheese
- fry for a couple of minutes
- season with salt and pepper
- sprinkle some parsley on top