Date and Walnut Galette Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
Filling (by Hipcooks)
1/8 pound walnuts, roughly chopped
3.4 cup dates, deseeded and chopped
Juice of 1 orange
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, cold and cubed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar plus extra for dusting
1 teaspoon cardamom
Zest of 1 orange, minced
2-3 tablespoons water, ice cold
1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon milk
How to make Date and Walnut Galette
1. Start with crust by combining flour, salt, sugar, zest, cardamom and butter with a pastry blender until crumbly.
2. Add water, a tablespoon at a time, until dough begins to come together and form a ball. Shape into a flat round, wrap in wax paper and pop in the fridge for at least an hour.
3. As dough chills, throw the filling ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined.
4. When ready to bake, lightly dust a flat surface with flour and roll out dough about 1/2 inch thick to a circle about 9-10 inches in diameter. Trim excess dough. (If there’s enough left, save the dough scraps for another treat. Just wrap tightly and freeze!)
5. Sprinkle coconut at the bottom of the galette leaving 1 1/2-2 inches of dough all around. Spread date mixture—piled highly or flattened with your hand—on top of coconut.
6. Fold dough over date mixture, pleating however you like. Lift the galette carefully and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Put the galette in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to reset.
7. Whisk egg yolk with milk. When ready to bake, brush galette crust with egg yolk mixture and sprinkle liberally with sugar.
8. Bake galette in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.