Ukoy - Filipino Potato Fritters Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 large onion, cut into rings and then cut in half
- 2/3 cup of flour
- 1/3 cup of cornstarch (you can add more of the flour and cornstarch but keep the proportions)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 3 stalks of green onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs of shrimp, shelled, deveined, cut in half (lengthwise)
- 1/4 cup of waterblack pepperoil for frying
Optional (for the sauce)
- soy sauce
- crushed garlic
- black pepper
How to make Ukoy - Filipino Potato Fritters
This is an old family favorite and the meal I always ask for when I go home. Filipino potato-y fried goodness.
- Grate the potatoes (use the big holes on the grater).
- Add the carrots, green onion, and onions.
- Mix it up.
- Add the shrimp, flour, cornstarch, and water.
- Mix it up.
- Salt and pepper time. (By this time you should have a thick but slighly runny, potato heavy batter)
- In a pan, heat up about an inch of oil (enough to almost cover the patty).
- Using a saucer or small plate form a little potato patty.
- When the oil gets hot, slide the patty into the oil.
Serve with a dipping sauce of 2:1 vinegar and soy sauce, plus crushed garlic, and fresh cracked black pepper. Don't forget the steamed rice.