Mom-mom Scola's "Gravy" - Sunday Sauce Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 28 oz can tomato puree
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes (crush by hand)
- 1 lb bone-in piece of veal
- 1 lb bone-in piece of pork
- 1 lb bracciola (seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, parmasean cheese, fresh parsley)
- 1 lb bottom round steaks, sliced sandwich thin
- 2 T garlic
- handful fresh parsley
- Handful romano cheese
How to make Mom-mom Scola's "Gravy" - Sunday Sauce
I won't get into the Italian-American gravy vs. sauce debate. I just call this recipe "gravy" because Ang does, and she graciously passed on her recipe to me. I make this as my Sunday Sauce :)
In a cast iron dutch oven, brown meats in EVOO, set aside. (For Bracciole, see below)
- Mix the garlic, salt and pepper, parsley and romano cheese together.
- Put a scant teaspoonful of mixture onto each steak.
- Roll up and secure with toothpick or string.
- Brown in olive oil.
Once meats are resting, add some EVOO and saute the garlic. Add tomatoes to pan. Crush the whole tomatoes by hand, or mash with potato masher.
Simmer for 1/2 hour.
Add meats back in, add salt, pepper. Simmer all for at least an hour, up to 3 hours.
I added my own meatballs to this sauce. Feel free to do the same.