Beef Stifado - Braised Beef & Onions Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 600 kg beef sirloin, cubed
- 50 ml olive oil
- 600 kg baby onions, peeled and whole
- 100 ml red wine vinegar
- 200 ml dry red wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- 150 ml beef stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
How to make Beef Stifado - Braised Beef & Onions
- Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté beef until brown on both sides.
- Remove meat and drain well on absorbent paper.
- Place onions in saucepan and sauté till golden brown.
- Remove and drain well on absorbent paper.
- Arrange beef in a heavy based saucepan with cooked onions.
- Add wine, vinegar, spices, salt and beef stock.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 60 minutes or until the meat is tender.
Chef’s tip: For a rich and satisfying meal, server with steamed buttered rice.