Vegetarian Stuffed Eggplant Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 1 eggplant
- 5 large mushrooms
- 1 sweet pointed red pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 white bread loafs OR pre-made bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Grana Padano cheese
- mixed herbs
How to make Vegetarian Stuffed Eggplant
- Preheat your oven to around 160 C.
- Wash the eggplant, cut the stem off then split it in half length-wise.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the inside of the eggplant, leaving a small border of meat on ALL sides so it will hold its shape when baked.
- Put the eggplant halves on a slightly oiled baking tray. Drizzle them with olive oil and season with salt and herbs to taste.
- Chop the eggplant meat into small chunks.
- Cut the top off the tomatoes, squeeze out the seeds then chop them in to rough cubes. Sprinkle them with salt and let them sit while you prepare the rest. Drain the liquid that comes out before you cook them.
- Cut the pointed red pepper in half, clean it out, then chop thinly.
- Chop the mushrooms into rough chunks
- In a medium saute pan, heat some olive oil and add the mushrooms. Do not mix them alot or add salt, as this will make them release liquid. Let them brown a bit then add the red peppers.
- Let them cook a while, then add the tomatoes and the eggplant meat. Season to taste.
- While the vegetables are cooking, crumble the bread loafs into a bowl.
- After the vegetables are tender, add them to the bowl of bread crumbs and mix well. Add the egg and mix again.
- Fill the eggplant halves with this mixture and top it off with slices of cheese.
- Cook the eggplants in the oven until soft (around 50 minutes).