Slow-roasted Eye Fillet, Truffle Jus, Potato Rosti Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- eye fillet steak (bigger the better)
- beef stock
- truffle paste (or mushroom paste-whatever's available)
- good quality white wine
- loaf of bread
- 2 hours spare (5 episodes of Arrested Development should cover this)
How to make Slow-roasted Eye Fillet, Truffle Jus, Potato Rosti
I've never been a huge fan of cooking steak at home. Pan fried steak is oily, bench-top grillers always seem to set off the fire-alarm, and the BBQ doesn't clean itself (but i'm not in Japan so who knows what's possible). This oven-roasted steak makes things dead easy. Crisp on the outside, buttery-soft on the inside.
Sorry about the pics. I lost my camera the day I made this. So these were taken from my iPhone, which as we all know is equipped with the lamest excuse for a camera. ever.
Anyway, here we go:
You need to source a good quality butcher who is able to freshly cut an eye fillet from the carcass.
I've been told that for a moderate-sized butcher, they keep attached four eye fillets per cow, and will supply on request.
I've tried the pre-cuts ones and they ended up tasting a little dry.
- rope up the eye fillet, making sure to aim for a symmetrical cylindrical shape
- salt and pepper the surface
- cook in preheated oven for 120 minutes at low temp (90 degrees C)
- take out of the oven and straight onto a pan with melted butter, a little salt and pepper. Fry very quickly or until the surface is a shade darker than it was when it came out of the oven. (you don't want to cook the inside -it's just for texture)
- take off the pan and let rest for 10 minutes. cut into fairly thick medallions with a (sharp) sharp knife.
- Jus: to the residue remaining on the pan, add white wine and stock. let reduce. add in truffle paste
- Cruton: Cut thick slices from the loaf of bread, then trim the crust to create large discs. Shallow fry in clarified butter until golden and crispy
- Rosti: Julienne some patatoes. arrange flat on greased foil and flatten some more. sprinkle on salt, place small dollop of butter on top. place in oven 200C until crispy
- Arrangement: make a cruton base. a couple of steak medallions rest on that. drizzle the truffle jus over everything. place rosti on top. Awesome.
- I'd serve this with a sidedish of broccolini panfried in butter and almond flakes, and a rocket and green apple balsamic-dressed salad :)
- I had this with a Peroni, whilst watching Beauty and the Geek (Season 5). Then fell asleep on the couch.