Roast Herbal Emperor Chicken Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 1 Chicken, cleaned
- 500ml Water
- Salt to taste
- 24g Huai Shan 淮山 (Radix Dioscoreae Oppositae)
- 18g Dang Shen 党参 (Codonopsis Pilosulae)
- 16g Yu Zhu 玉竹 (Solomon's Seal Rhizome)
- 22g Long Yan Gan 龙眼干 (Dried Longan)
- 10g Gou Qi Zi 枸杞子 (Wolfberries)
- 6 Hong Zao 红枣 (Red Dates)
- 3g Chuan Gong 川芎 (Szechwan Lovage Rhizome)
- 5g Tang Gui 当归 (Angelica Sinensis)
- 15g Bei Qi 北芪 (Astragalus Membranaceus)
How to make Roast Herbal Emperor Chicken
- Place herbs in a oven-proof casserole and add water.
- Place chicken, breast side down, on top
- Place casserole on a stove and bring to a boil over medium-high fire.
- Remove from stove, cover with lid for 5 to 10 minutes so the herbs can softened.
- Carefully remove the chicken and stuff some herbs in the cavity.
- Return the chicken to the casserole and cover the lid.
- Roast in the oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours at180C
- Check for doneness; juices would run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a metal skewer.
- Remove the lid, season with salt.
- Baste the chicken with the soup sauce and continue to cook for another 10 to 15 minutes to brown the skin.
- Carve chicken or serve as whole.
Alternative Steaming Method:
- Steam all herbs with water for 5 minutes.
- Place chicken on a aluminum foil.
- Stuff some herbs in chicken and scatter the rest around the chicken.
- Pour the water used together with the herbs for steaming inside.
- Wrap and seal the foil.
- Place on a dish and steam for at least 2 hours.
- Add salt to taste and serve.
- Remember to keep checking the water level if you are using the steaming method.
- Keep a kettle of hot water ready; to add in if the water level is low.
- DO NOT add cold water.
To see the images of the herbs used here, please click HERE.