Fuji Apple and Pear Pie Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
IngredientsRecipe modified from Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book
- 2 and 1/4 cup of flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 10 tsp cold water
- 2 large fuji apples, sliced
- 1/2 large asian pear, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tsp sugar
+ standard pie pan sprayed with cooking oil
+ 4 pieces of aluminum foil
How to make Fuji Apple and Pear Pie
1. Combine first three dough ingredients. Add cold water gradually until a ball forms.
2. Bring dough together, separate in two (one dough ball will be rolled out for the bottom of the pan, the other for the top). Roll out into flat circles, about one inch larger than the size of the standard pie pan.
3. Spray bottom of pan with cooking oil. Lay dough for the bottom of the pie and tuck the corners in. With a fork, poke a couple of holes in the dough.
4. Combine filling ingredients and pour into the pan. Spread evenly, then cover with remaining dough. Fold and tuck corners in. Poke a few holes with a fork.
5. To prevent over-browning of the pie crust, cover the corners with foil.
6. Place in 375 F oven for 40 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for another 15-20 minutes until apples are tender and a thick sauce has formed.
++ Remember that because of the sweetness of the fuji apples and pear, less sugar is required.