Red velvet cupcakes Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 License
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cocoa (use non-alkalinised, e.g. Hershey's or Nestle)
- 1 1/4 cups veg oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 25 mL red food colouring
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g butter
- 500g cream cheese
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar
How to make Red velvet cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 180 deg celsius.
- Line cupcake pans with paper cupcake liners.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together until it combines smoothly.
- Gradually sift and fold the dry ingredients mixture into the wet mixture.
- Pour mixture into cupcake liners till about 3/4 way.
- Bake in oven for 20 to 25 min.
- Cream butter with an electric beater on low in a bowl until pale.
- Add cream cheese and beat till fluffy.
- Add sugar and beat on high until fluffy.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and let cool.
- When cupcakes are cool, spread cream cheese frosting and sprinkle with crushed walnuts and top with berries.
- Chill in the fridge to firm up the frosting.
- (makes 32 little ones and 12 bigger ones)
- (adapted from Paula Deen's recipe; I reduced the veg oil and sugar used. Also the cream cheese frosting I made lasted 3 batches of cupcakes. Book a session with your cardiologist before and after consumption.)