Dad's Secret Chicken Salad Dressing Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- Chicken breast meat
- 1/4 c Sichuan pepper(花椒
- 1 c finely chopped green parts of scallion
- 1/2c peanut oil
- soy sauce
- black vinegar
- cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- eggs, made into crepes and sliced thin
- cooked noodle, drained and chilled
Sichuan pepper: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan_Pepper
How to make Dad's Secret Chicken Salad Dressing
This is a "secret" recipe from my dad. It is so secret that he never properly measured anything and to this date I'm still trying to figure out the exact proportion. So play with the amount of soy sauce, vinegar and pepper until you find a balance you like.
- Sprinkle chicken with S&P and some Chinese cooking wine. Cover with saran wrap and microwave until cooked. Cool and shred to pieces with hand.
- Crush Sichuan pepper with a rolling pin in a heavy duty plastic bag. Place into a tall glass jar.
- Place chopped scallion on top of the Sichuan peppers in jar.
- Heat peanut oil in pan until warm but not hot and pour into the jar with pepper and scallion.
- Let cool slightly and pour soy sauce, black vinegar and sugar into jar. Shake to mix. Taste and season with S&P
- To serve, place noodles into a large bowl. Top with shredded chicken, egg, cucumber and tomatoes. Pour dressing on top.
This dressing's flavor intensifies with aging and can be stored in an air-tight jar in the fridge for a very long time. When my dad visited me in Tokyo I had him whip up a batch and forgot about one jar in the back of the fridge. I found it a year later and ate it. Both my husband and I are still alive.