Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1/2 ounces flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 quarts red wine
- 1 cup water
- 10 ounces bacon, cut into small pieces
- Boiled potatoes and croutons, for serving
How to make Charbonne
1. Cut pork shoulder into small pieces. In a large pan, saute the pork in butter and garlic until golden brown. Add onion and cook until softened.
2. Add the flour, salt, pepper, sage, rosemary, cumin, tarragon, and bay leaves and stir. Next add the wine and water and cover. Cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
3. In a separate pan, saute the bacon until the fat has rendered and it's golden brown. After pork has been cooked for 30 minutes, add rendered bacon to dish. Cook for 30 more minutes.
4. Serve with potatoes and croutons.