Bulalo (Beef Stew, Filipino style.) Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- Beef shank, with bone intact. (Like bone marrow, you know?!) -- I used about a kilo of meat.
- 10 peppercorns.
- 2 med onions, chopped.
- 2 cloves of garlic.
- 6 cups of WATERRR.
- Corn, either fresh from the cob or corn from the can. We need the KERNELS.
- Chinese cabbage, chopped.
- Asparagus (optional, totally.)
- Green onions, cut.
- Fish sauce.
How to make Bulalo (Beef Stew, Filipino style.)
The vegetables in this soup can be substituted. You can add or omit the following, but I think the corn gives it a nice refreshing sweetness. Other alternatives for veggies can be potatoes and carrots.
Very easy, very simple, very comforting for a cold winter day.
- Add the beef shank, peppercorns, onions and garlic with the 6 cups of WATERRR. Put in a pressure cooker for 45 minutes or until the meat is TENDER. If you're not using a pressure cooker, boil then simmer until the beef is fork tender. Remove any scum that surfaces. :D
- You can choose to strain the onions and peppercorns if you wish, but we keep them in. Add the vegetables till cooked.
- Serve with rice and fish sauce / nuoc nam. Enjoy.