Chinese Beef Stew Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
IngredientsStew beef + broth:
- 1 kg of Stewed beef, cut up if you want. (I prefer mine with good amounts of fat for more juiciness.)
- 5 cups of water.
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- 1 1/2 inch worth of ginger, cut up into slivers.
- 3 tablespoons of five spice.
- 1/2 cup of xiaoxing wine.
- Some cooking oil.
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce.
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar.
- 2 tablespoons of white.
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder or 1 cinnamon stick.
- 5 star anise.
- Some salt.
- A little bit of hoisin.
- Optional: Monosodium glutamate.
- Potato starch or cornstarch.
- Potato starch.
- Firm tofu, cut into cubes, then cut into triangles.
- Nappa cabbage (Chinese lettuce)
- Daikon radish OR water chestnuts.
- Mushrooms (shiitake or other)
- ... All chopped up.
How to make Chinese Beef Stew
This stew takes a bit of time, but results in a satisfying, warm, hearty stew. Also known as bean curd + beef a la casserole or Beef stew hotpot.
You can remove or add vegetables as you please, and you can add your own deep fried tofu pre-packaged if you have. I find mine tastier.
My version is with a pressure cooker, but I am pretty sure one can slowcook for immense flavour and tender meat, or simmer for at least 2 hours.
- Start by washing the meat so theres no blood. Put it in the pot of the pressure cooker.
- Lightly fry the beef with a bit of oil in pot, just so the outsides are browned.
- Add the soy sauce, anise, five spice, xiaoxing wine, salt, pepper, garlic, ginger, sugars and cinnamon. Add the water and put your pressure cooker on.
- Pressure cook for about 45 minutes to an hour. More if you like.
- Dredge the tofu in potato starch and deep fry. Set aside.
- Remove from heat from the pressure cooker (be careful!) and strain, putting the broth in another pot. (To remove scum)
- Add the meat into the broth. The broth should be worth 2 cups now that its been in pressure cooker. Put some of the anise and ginger in the new pot with meat.
- Add about 2 more cups of water or till you see fit.
- Add the vegetables and tofu, simmering it.
- Add a bit more wine (about 1/4 cup), a pinch of MSG, a teaspoon of soy sauce, a dash of the five spice and some potato starch to let it thicken.
- Serve on top of rice.