Kare-Kare (Oxtail and Tripe Peanut Stew.) Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 1 kg of Oxtail meat or you can use pork feet or hocks if you want, still 1 kg, skin removed (or kept) if you want, chopped up.
- 0.5-1kg of honeycomb tripe or omasum.
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Some cooking oil.
- 2 onions, cut up.
- 1 egg plant, sliced and separated.
- Some bok choy, cut up.
- Green beans, cut up into segments.
- Hearts of palm or banana leaf hearts (used from a jar), cut up into segments.
- 1/2 a cup of smooth peanut butter (or crunchy doesnt matter)
- Some shrimp paste
- 6 cups of water.
- Some peppercorns.
How to make Kare-Kare (Oxtail and Tripe Peanut Stew.)
God, another Filipino comfort food. I love my kare kare, and I usually put more omasum/tripe than there needs to be! You can, as usual, use a boiling method (for a while). This recipe uses a pressure cooker.
If you want the sauce more peanut-ey, add more peanut butter by all means. You can freeze and eat later. (Not a good idea to refrigerate for a few days b/c it gets spoiled so easily.)
- In a pressure cooker, put the 6 c of water, pork hocks and tripe with peppercorns and onion. Add some salt as well and pressure cook for about an hour and a half or until tender.
- Take the other onion and garlic and "gisa" (stirfry) it with the shrimp paste.
- After pressure cooker, strain the liquid and keep it. Remove peppercorns.
- Put the stirfried onions and garlic back with the meat. Add the vegetables and add about 1 cup of water. (It should've evaporated a bit during cooking process.)
- Simmer until veggies are tender. Add the peanut butter and simmer some more.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with rice and some shrimp paste.