Turnip Cake Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 200 grams of rice flour
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 25 grams of Chinese dried shrimp
- 500 grams of Chinese white turnip
- 2 tablespoons of grated carrot
- 1,5 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Shao Hsing rice cooking wine
- 1 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- pinch of salt
How to make Turnip Cake
- Combine 200 grams of rice flour and 1 cup of water. Mix well until the mixture is smooth and set aside.
- In a small bowl, soak shiitake mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes to soften. In a separate small bowl, do the same with the dried shrimp.
- Remove shiitake from water, squeeze out excess water, finely chop, and set aside. Remove shrimp from water, finely chop, and set aside.
- Peel the turnip and grate coarsely. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok, add shrimp and mushrooms, fry until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the cooking wine and soy sauce and stir until the shrimp and mushrooms are well-coated.
- In separate pot, bring 1/2 cup water to boil, add turnip and steam for 10 to 15 minutes until just cooked.
- Pour the hot turnips into the bowl with the rice flour mixture and mix thoroughly. Add shrimp, mushrooms, carrot and salt. Stir until evenly distributed. Pour the mixture into steaming dish and smooth out the top.
- Steam 1 hour, or just until cake is set and is firm to the touch.
- Remove the pan from the steamer and cool down the turnip cake.
- Serve the turnip cake as cold appetizer, sliced or as pan fried 1 cm thick slices.