Mini Meatball Soup Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan in a slow stream
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef, pork and veal combined
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano, a couple of handfuls
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs, a couple of handfuls
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups dried pasta, rings, broken fettuccini or ditalini
- 1 pound triple washed fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- Grilled 4 Cheese Sandwiches, recipe follows
How to make Mini Meatball Soup
In a deep pot over medium heat add oil, chopped carrots, celery and onions and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Cover pot and cook veggies 5 or 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
While the veggies cook, combine meat, egg, garlic, grated cheese, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, nutmeg.
Uncover your soup pot and add broth and water to the pot. Increase heat to high and bring soup to a boil. When soup boils, reduce heat a bit and start to roll meat mixture into small balls, dropping them straight into the pot. You are making meat dumplings that will cook in the broth. When you are done rolling the meat, add pasta to the soup and stir. Cover and simmer soup 10 minutes. When pasta is tender, stir in chopped spinach in batches. When spinach has wilted into the soup, the soup is done and ready to serve. Adjust your seasonings. Serve soup with crusty bread or grilled 4 cheese sandwiches.