Old World Vegetable Soup Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons oil or unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup split peas
- 1/2 cup barley
- 8 cups chicken stock, water, or a combo
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup elbow pasta
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen mixed garden vegetables
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped dill leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make Old World Vegetable Soup
Saute the onions in oil until lightly browned. Rinse the split peas and barley in water and place in a large pot. Add the chicken stock and water and cook over medium-high heat. until almost tender, about 1 hour. Add the pasta and cook 10 minutes longer. Then add the lima beans and vegetables, cook until the vegetables are tender. Season with dill, salt and pepper.