Coconut Cupcakes with Chocolate and Almonds Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 2 large eggs plus 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup cream of coconut
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, at room temperature
- For the Topping:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 14-ounce package shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
How to make Coconut Cupcakes with Chocolate and Almonds
Make the cupcakes:
1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F.
2. Line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.
3. Whisk the whole eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Whisk in the cream of coconut and the coconut and vanilla extracts until smooth.
4. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
5. Beat in the butter, one piece at a time, with a mixer on low speed until the mixture resembles coarse meal, 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Add half of the egg mixture, increase the speed to medium-high and beat until fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in the remaining egg mixture until combined, scraping down the bowl as needed.
7. Divide the batter among the prepared cups, filling each about halfway.
8. Bake until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool in the pans 10 minutes; transfer to racks to cool completely.
Make the topping:
9. Combine the milk, coconut, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook until the milk is absorbed and the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.
Make the glaze:
10. Put the chocolate, corn syrup, butter and 3 tablespoons hot water in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on 50 percent power until the chocolate melts, about 2 minutes. Whisk to combine. Keep warm.
11. Top each cupcake with a heaping tablespoonful of the coconut mixture, pressing gently until compact. Spoon 1 teaspoon glaze on top and garnish with 2 almonds. Refrigerate until the glaze sets, about 20 minutes.
Makes 24 servings
Photograph by Con Poulos