Chicken Consomme Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 License
Ingredients5 qts chicken stock (must be cold)
1.5 lbs lean ground chicken
8 oz mirepoix, finely minced in food processor
6 oz chopped tomatoes
6 egg whites
4 parsley stems
1 T. dried thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
10 black peppercorns
2 T. white wine vinegar
*Salt as needed*
How to make Chicken Consomme
1. Combine ground chicken, mirepoix, tomatoes, herbs, spices and egg whites in a large mixing bowl
2. When the "raft" is well blended, add one quart of chicken stock(cold) to be clarified for the consomme.
3."temper" the raft with the quart of chicken stock(cold) by mixing it very well with all the ingredients in the mixing bowl. This is very important. If you don't temper, the raft will not rise evenly while the consomme is simmering on the stove.
4. place the remaining 4qt of stock in a tall pot.
5. add the tempered "raft" to the pot and stir it into the stock very well to blend it evenly, uniformly, and consistently
6. place the pot on the stove and bring to a simmer over high heat. Stir the contents of the pot frequently until the raft starts to congeal on the surface of the stock. Stop stirring at this point. Allow the raft to finish rising to the surface undisturbed.
7. when raft has risen and is fully congealed, reduce the heat to a low simmer. (barely and surface agitation)
8. poke a hole in the center of the raft with the handle of a spoon. This step will allow the consomme to baste itself while it's cooking. this will prevent it from drying out, cracking, and falling apart, sinking to the bottom and clouding the consomme.
9. the consomme should simmer for one to one and one-half hours to allow the flavors to be fully developed.
10. when consomme is done remove it from the heat and carefully strain it into a clean and sanitized pot. It must be strained through a "chinoise" lined with four layers of lightly dampened cheese cloth.
11. adjust the seasoning and plate an eight ounce portion in a preheated soup bowl with the appropriate garnish.
The objective for the finished consomme is fully flavored and well balanced in taste; rich, "succulent" body; fat free and crystal clear; amber in color: served hot.