Flank Steak With Black Beans and Slaw Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 1 1/4 pounds flank steak
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage (about 1/2 small head)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
How to make Flank Steak With Black Beans and Slaw
1. Sprinkle the steak with 2 teaspoons chili powder and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steak; cook about 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
2. Meanwhile, make the slaw: Toss the cabbage with the lime juice, mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons cilantro, the remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder, and salt to taste. Chill until ready to serve.
3. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth and beans and bring to a simmer. Coarsely mash the beans with a spoon; continue cooking until slightly thickened, about 4 more minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro and salt to taste.
4. Slice the steak; top with the black beans and serve with the slaw.
Makes 4 servings, Difficulty: Easy
Per serving: Calories 390; Fat 18 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 56 mg; Sodium 552 mg; Carbohydrate 19 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 38 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos