Cha Siu / 叉燒 / Cha Shao Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 600g pork, cut into a 2'' strips
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 1/4 cup honey or maltose
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cube red pickled tofu (紅豆腐乳)
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- red food coloring (optional)
- Honey and water (mixed in a 3:1 ratio)
How to make Cha Siu / 叉燒 / Cha Shao
- Use a fork and poke the pork all over, set aside .
- Make the marinade by mixing the rest of the ingredients together (except the honey water) until well blended.
- Marinade the pork overnight.
- The next day, lay the pork on a greased rack and spread foil on the bottom for easier cleaning
- Bake 30 minutes on each side (1 hour total) at gas mark 5 (190ºC, 375ºF), basting every 10 - 15 minutes with remaining marinade .
- The pork should have an internal temperature of 65°C (or 160°F) when done.
- Make the glaze by mixing honey and water in a 3:1 ratio, respectively.
- Glaze the pork on each side and bake for another 5 - 10 minutes .
- Let the pork cool down and cut into thin slices.