Glutinous Rice Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 License
- 250g glutinous rice
- 6 medium-sized dried mushrooms (halved or quartered before cooking)
- 1 spring onion, chopped (garnish)
- 1 Chinese sausage or lap cheong
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 tablespoon of Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark/thick soy sauce
- A dash of sesame oil
How to make Glutinous Rice
Note: Preferably, soak the glutinous rice overnight in cold water to soften the grain before cooking. Also soak the mushroom overnight in cold water or at least two hours before cooking.
- Heat the wok to medium heat and add one tablespoon of oil.
- Add garlic and saute until it is aromatic.
- Add mushroom and chinese sausage. Stir for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add in the glutinous rice and stir for another 3 minutes.
- Add the chinese cooking wine and soy sauce and stir for another 2 minutes. Then add in the sesame oil.
- Add the dark/thick soy sauce. Make sure that the rice are evenly coated with the sauce.
- Turn off the heat and transfer it to a heat-proof container/bowl/tin. Add enough water to cover the rice. The more water you add, the more soft and moist the rice will get.
- Cover and put in a steamer for 30 to 40 minutes. Check the rice at least a couple of time in between cooking to make sure that the rice is not too dry (if not, the rice will be come very hard and crackly. Add more water by tablespoon if the rice gets too dry). If you prefer it softer, give another 10 minutes. 9) Garnish with spring onion and serve it up!