Sop Buntut (Oxtail Soup) Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 2 lbs. oxtail
- 3 inches of ginger, unpeeled but smashed
- 3 nutmeg seeds, roughly broken
- 20 cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 3 carrots
- 2 leeks, chopped into 1 inch chunks
- 1 scallion, chopped into 1 inch chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped into 8 chunks each
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- fried shallots
- 1 Tbsp butter or vegetable oil
How to make Sop Buntut (Oxtail Soup)
- Fill a large pot with enough water to cover the oxtail generously and add the ginger.
- Bring the water to a boil, add the oxtail, and boil for three minutes.
- Pour out the water and discard the ginger.
- Refill the pot (still with the oxtail) with cold water and bring to a boil. Add the cloves and nutmeg, and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours until the meat is tender.
- Heat butter/oil in a pan over medium heat, add carrot, leek, and scallion and saute for 3 minutes, then add to the soup along with the potatoes, pepper, and salt to taste.
- Cover and simmer for twenty minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with celery, tomato slices, and fried shallots.
- Serve hot with rice and emping crackers.