Tofu Burger Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 1 Firm Tofu (木綿豆腐)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 carrot, diced
- Breadcrumbs (not too much)
- Burgers or Baps or Rolls (however you call bread)
- as you like it. Teriyaki/Worchester etc...
How to make Tofu Burger
- Drain water from firm tofu and mash it.
To do so, you can put the tofu into a plastic bag and then use a rolling pin to flatten and mash it. Make sure you squeeze all the water away after you've mashed the tofu. Set aside.
- Dice the green pepper, red pepper and carrot into little tiny cutey cubes.
- Mix the tofu, green pepper, red pepper, carrot, breadcrumbs and an egg that's beaten.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Shape the tofu mix into whatever shape your roll/burger/bap is. Bake the tofu patty for 10mins, then flip it and bake for another 5 more mins.
- Sandwich tofu patty between the bread rolls, drizzle your favourite sauce, pile it on a garden of salad and there you have, a healthy Tofu Burger! Enjoy!
I first made a version of tofu burger in 2007. Topping the patty with melted cheese, this simple, vegetarian burger won over the heart of a carnivorous cousin. What's also great about this tofu patty is that there is no need for seasoning! It relies on the natural sweetness of the peppers, carrots whose flavour permeates the neutral tofu. For more character, I like to Japonise the tofu burger by adding a squiggle of Teriyaki sauce & Mayonnaise (it must be kewpie). Go easy on the sauce though as you don't want to mask the flavours of the lovely tofu patty.
*** eat+blessings ***