Healthyish Brownies Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 6 tbsp unsalted 50/50 smart balance / butter mix
- 2 tbsp cooked, pureed cannellini beans
- 2 oz squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup egg beaters (or similar)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2-1 cup chocolate chips (optional) (I prefer 60% Ghirardelli)
How to make Healthyish Brownies
Though these still contain quite a bit of sugar, by using the smart balance butter, replacing some of the butter with pureed beans, adding egg beaters and whole wheat flour, they are healthier than most brownies you come across, but you won't know by the taste!
The sea salt gives these an extra burst of flavor -- I highly recommend using good salt. If you like, sprinkle a little more on top before baking.
- Melt butter and chocolate over a double boiler or in microwave.
- Stir in beans
- Stir in sugar, then egg, than vanilla
- Stir in flour and salt
- Stir in chips
- pour and spread evenly into 8x8 pan sprayed with cooking spray (preferably butter flavor)
- Bake at 325 for about 40 minutes, until a knife comes out clean in the center.
Best served cool!
inspired by Katherine Hepburn's Brownie Recipe.