vegan vegetable-corn chowder Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 1 tablespoon (or so) olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cubed, peeled potatoes
- 1 cup carrot slices
- 1 can (15 ounces) creamed corn (or just corn mixed with 1/2 cup soy milk & 1 tablespoon melted Earth Balance)
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (your favorite bean will also work)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 cups soy milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
How to make vegan vegetable-corn chowder
Get the recipe on my blog: http://makemethod.vox.com/library/post/vegan-vegetable-corn-chowder.html
- Lightly oil 4-quart Dutch oven (or large saucepan) and heat over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion and celery. Cook and stir for 3 minutes, until crisp-tender.
vegetable stock and salt & bring to a boil over high heat. (NOTE:
You may wish to add the salt at the very end after tasting the chowder.
That's what we did, and depending on your stock, corn choice, etc. you
may not need any salt at all.)
- Add potatoes and carrot. Reduce heat to medium-low. Then simmer, covered for 10 minutes (or until potatoes and carrot are tender).
- Stir in corn, beans, pepper, and poppy seeds. Simmer -- again, covered -- for 10 minutes (or until heated through).
- Whisk milk into cornstarch in a medium bowl until smooth. Stir into vegetable mixture.
- Simmer -- uncovered -- until thickened.