Glutinous rice dumpling-(Bak Chang) Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
All Rights Reserved
Ingredients60 pieces Dried bamboo leaves -soaked for 12 hours - clean
40 string hemps- soaked over night or rafia string.
1500gm glutinous rice-soaked 3 hours
3 tbsp salt
300gm peanut-boiled to cook till soft
100gm dried chestnut- boiled to cook till soft-chopped
Ingredients to be pounded finely:
1/2 large red onion
4 pips garlic
3 tbsp dried prawns-soaked soft
200gm minced meat
5-6 dried mushrooms-soaked in boiling water to soften-sliced
1 tbsp chopped garlic
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp black pepper
How to make Glutinous rice dumpling-(Bak Chang)
1.Saute pounded ingredients in 3/4 cup oil till aroma. Add the washed glutinous rice without water.Add the peanuts.
2.Season with salt. Mix well. leave aside.
3. In a clean wok, saute garlic in 3 tbsp oil till aroma. Add meat . Stir . Then add Chopped mushrooms, chestnuts.
4 Add soy sauce, oyster sauce and pepper.Stir fry till well blend and the meat is cooked.
5. Using 2 pieces of the bamboo leave turn or shape into a cone, put half fill with glutinous rice, add a spoon of meat on top and cover with glutinous until the top. Wrap up the leave and seal tied with a hemp or rafia string to secure the cone.
6. Boil for 3 hours in a large pot fill with water to cover the dumplings.Add about 2 tbsp of salt in the water.
7. Hang up the dumpling after cooked. serve hot.
8. To reheat , put in the micro oven to steam or put in a steamer and steam to warm.
Hemp is a kind of string made from plant leaf. Collect about 6 or 8 string and fold into half about 2 1/2 feet long. Tied a knot on the fold part. Trim off excess ends. Hang the tied knot on nail , so you can do your tying for the dumpling.
If using a rafia string, do the same technique.
Dried bamboo leaves can be found in Asian market , sometime it comes only in season like the month of June, becoz June is the month Chinese celebrate the dumpling day ...
Anyway this is my mother's recipe, I learn to make when I was 12.