nasi lemak and curry chicken in America Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 1 cup white rice (preferably Jasmine)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (unsweetened, first pressed)
- 4 bay leaves
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 carrot, diced
- 1 1/2 cup water (potato)
- 4 pieces chicken thigh, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tsp lemon grass mash
- 3 tsp garlic mash
- 2 tsp ginger mash
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- pepper (preferably white)
- 6 bay leaves
- 4 heap tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 cup water (curry paste)
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 tbsp rice wine, or any cooking sherry
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cube chicken consomme (15g)
- 1 hard boiled egg per serving
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts per serving
- celery sticks or sliced cucumber
- chopped cilantro and chili
How to make nasi lemak and curry chicken in America
a malaysian cuisine altered using ingredients that are more readily available in america.
directions for making the nasi lemak...
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Strain and pour into a pot. Add the salt, bay leaves and water and soak for 15 minutes.
- Place the pot of rice on high heat and bring to a boil with the lid on. Keep a close watch on it so that it won’t leak out when it starts boiling or else you’ll have such a fun time cleaning up the stove.
- Anyway, once it comes to a boil, add the coconut milk, stir, place the lid back on, turn the heat down to medium low and let simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring once or twice in the last 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes before serving.
directions for making the chicken curry...
- Marinate the chicken in the lemon grass, garlic and ginger mash with the soy sauce, bay leaves and pepper for about 10 minutes.
- Fill a pot with 1 ½ cup water seasoned with salt and add the potatoes. Bring it to a rapid boil and reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the diced carrots and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Mix the curry powder with ½ cup of water to form a paste.
- Heat the peanut oil in a large pot and fry the diced onion until translucent. Add the chicken fry for about 3 minutes, then the curry paste and stir fry for another 2 minutes. Add in the rice wine and empty the potatoes, carrots and its liquids into the pot. Pour the coconut milk in and add the chicken consommé cube. Bring it to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes, seasoning with salt to taste.
to assemble this dish...
- divide the rice between the dishes and pour the chicken curry over the rice.
- add to each serving a hard boiled egg, 2 tbsp roasted peanuts, some celery or cucumber sticks, and garnish with chopped cilantro and chili.
- serves 3-4 people.