Rice with spinach casserole Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped or sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper (capsicum / shimla mirch / शिमला मिर्च), sliced or diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced - or 1 to 2 Tbsp garlic chili paste - more if you want it hot
- 1 Tbsp. chicken broth or oil
- 2 eggs or 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup skimmed milk
- 1/4 tsp pepper (or more if desired)
- 1/2 tsp dried basil or a few chopped leaves of fresh basil - choose any other herb if you like
- 2 cups spinach - cooked or steamed and drained. Personally I like it steamed as there is nothing much to drain and so the nutrition remains
- 3 cups cooked rice - overnight leftover works great
- 1/2 lb Ricotta cheese - or fresh squeezed chhena छेना
- Salt to taste
How to make Rice with spinach casserole
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C - gas mark 4). If you have a toaster oven or a Nuwave oven, you do not need to preheat
- In the broth or oil, saute the onion, bell peppers, garlic (or garlic-chili paste) till tender
- Meanwhile in a bowl whip the eggs, milk, pepper,salt and basil. Mix the ricotta
- Add the cooked spinach, rice and cooked vegetables, mix well
- Grease or spray a baking dish and pour the mix into it.
- Cover and bake for 30-35 mins. For a convection/toaster/NuWave, it will take slightly less time
- If you want the top to be a little crispy (I do), uncover and bake for an additional 5 mins.