Banana Cream Pie Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 1 pie crust, prebaked.
- 1 C. sugar
- 1/2 C. flour or 1/4 C. cornstarch
- 1/4 t. salt
- 3 C. whole milk
- 4 eggs (yolks)
- 3 T. butter
- 1 1/2 t. vanilla
- 3-4 ripe bananas
- 4 eggs (whites)
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/2 t. cream or tartar
- 1/2 C. sugar
How to make Banana Cream Pie
This pie is to die for. It is my grandmother's recipe and this is the pie that my family makes for special occasions. One of my personal favorites, even though i don't care for bananas. Enjoy! :)
If you want to use my pie crust recipes, go here: http://www.nibbledish.com/people/redwood5/recipes/basic-pie-crust
Just prick and follow the prebaking instructions.
- Combine the sugar, flour/cornstarch, and salt in a large sauce pan. Slowly add in the milk.
- Meanwhile, separate the 4 egg yolks and 4 egg whites. Set the whites aside for use later. Beat the yolks slightly.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes thick and bubbly. Reduce heat and cook 2 more minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat. Spoon some of the hot pudding mixture into the egg yolks and mix in order to temper them. Pour the egg yolks into the sauce pan and mix in well.
- Place pan back on heat and cook 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter and vanilla until the butter is completely melted.
- Set aside. If you need to, place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the hot pudding to prevent a skin forming (for instance, if you make the pudding ahead of time).
- Peel the bananas and slice them into the bottom of the pie crust. You can put in as many as you want, but you should have a good thick layer.
- Pour the pudding on top of the bananas until it almost fills up the pie crust.
- Combine the egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar in a large bowl (or a stand mixer bowl).
- Beat the egg whites on medium until soft peaks form.
- Turn the mixer on high and slowly add in the sugar.
- Beat on high for about 4 minutes or until you get stiff peaks. Makes sure all the sugar is dissolved by rubbing a bit of meringue in-between your fingers.
- Spread the meringue on top of the pudding, sealing the edge to the pie crust.