Chocolate Cupcakes w/Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (chopped) or chips
- 1/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup soy milk (or skim)
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For the frosting: - 6 oz. low fat cream cheese (cold) - 1/2 cup (or more) confectioner's sugar - 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
How to make Chocolate Cupcakes w/Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan with foil liners (if you want to keep clean up easy). Grease liners or muffin tin.
- Put chocolate in a small bowl and melt in microwave for 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Alternatively, melt using a double boiler on the stove.
- Whisk together cocoa, 1/2 cup of the sugar and milk and cook for a couple of minutes over low-medium heat. Whisk until smooth and then stir this into the melted chocolate.
- In a seperate bowl whisk together the egg, eggwhites, remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and the vanilla.
- Combine with chocolate mixture and mix until smooth and the mixture is a bit stiff.
- Mix flour and baking powder together in a mixing cup and then fold the the mixture.
- Fill muffin cups with the chocolate batter and bake for 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting! Cut up the cream cheese into chunks and add to a mixing bowl. This will be tough if you try to do it by hand, so if you have a mixer, use it! Mix the cream cheese until it is smooth and slowly add the powdered sugar and a tablespoon of milk and vanilla. Mix until it has a frosting consistency - if you need to add more sugar or milk to thicken/thin the frosting, do so.
- Once cupcakes are out of the oven and cool, frost them!
- Serve to favorite birthday girl or boy or eat them yourself.