Okra with Scallion, Lemon and Ginger Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 1 lb small to medium okra, trimmed, leaving tops and tips
- 1 cup chopped scallions (about 1 bunch)
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 (2- by 1-inch) piece peeled ginger, cut into very thin matchsticks
- Lemon wedges
How to make Okra with Scallion, Lemon and Ginger
- Clean the okra and chop up the ginger and scallions. I use kitchen shears to chop the scallions on a bias.
- Steam okra in a steamer over boiling water, covered, until just tender. About 7 minutes. If you like your okra a little softer, (because you’re Filipino, and pinakbet holds a special place in your heart) 8-10 minutes should do.
- Cook scallions in oil with 1/2 tsp salt in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring, just until softened, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Pour all the scallion oil goodness over the okra and toss with ginger. Serve with lemon for squeezing over okra.